Monday, December 13, 2010

Snowflakes and Dominos

Well, its official.



Winter is here. Its amazing to me that no matter how long I live in Wisconsin, I can never get used to the snow. It wasn't a bad storm or anything. People lose their heads whenever snow hits the ground and start driving stupidly. I don't get that.



I mean, it happens every single year...



Whatever.



My car is still a soldier though. It starts up really consistently even though it's old. :) I love my Civvy!



Yesterday I was at church for about...oh I don't know 9 hours or so. It may seem weird but I actually love it there. Service was great!



We are doing a series called Christmas Choices and the focus yesterday was on how emotions during the holiday season affect us. Are emotions more intensified around Christmastime? Can you choose how you feel? That sorta thing.



Pastor Guy pointed out that "feeding" and "focus" are two huge factors in determining not only how we handle the emotional rollercoaster we face during holidays, but also how we live our lives.



Essentially when it comes to feeding, you are what you eat. He even used one of my favorite verses (and translations to illustrate Paul's advice on this matter)



"Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse." -Philippians 4:8-9 (The Message)



How much life do we spend dwelling on the things that are the worst or the ugly?



When I remember the lowest point in my life I can see now the importance and wisdom of Paul's message.



I remember that I had completely lost the ability to see the good in any situation. Anything and everything was cast in a negative light. I was cynical, and skeptical about everything. I remember the despondency. The utter feelings of hopelessness. The feeling that nothing would ever be good again and that I just didn't care if it did.



I remember at one point even telling a friend that "I don't even think God can save me now."

Fortunately, God is bigger than my worries, anxieties and depression. He brought me through that dark place and I am so grateful for that. :)

If one is not careful, the thoughts we feed on can eventually consume us.

We are what we eat.

Some of NextGen went out to lunch at BW3s after church (our college group at church is called the "Next Generation" or NextGen for short). I got to watch the Packers lose. Epic.

Then we went back to church because the elementary school ministry was putting on a musical called "Back to the Manger" (which was kind of a take off on Back to the Future).

My job was to change the dates everytime the time machine went crazy! And I also got free pizza out of it. Dominos! It tasted really good cause I hadn't eaten since BW3s. It was a lot of fun.

Then I came home and collapsed with a comfy feeling inside. Even though its cold God is good and I am blessed with the people I know and this experience known as life that I am privileged to enjoy. :)

No comments: