Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love and Icky Candy Hearts

To Write Love On Her Arms has a blog on their main website and I follow it occasionally...ok, I'm there a lot.

The post Jamie (TWLOHA's founder) put up on Valentines Day was super awesome and I think I agree...

Check it out!

http://www.twloha.com/blog/dear-valentines-day

Love is super powerful. I think it was designed that way... and oftener than not we do what Jamie refers to as making the significant other into our "god". I mean...after all love is a little slice of heaven, and once we're in the clouds it's damn near impossible to come down!

I think I'm learning more and more why people say that it's so important to keep God as the center of a relationship. It's not so that the couple can be presentable in the eyes of their peers as the "model church couple". Nor is it because God is supposed to be the electric fence between the couple and will zap them when they hold hands a little too tightly or if they kiss...

The reason God wants to be in the center of our relationships is because he knows our tendencies to become fixated upon that person. To build them up into someone who can do no wrong. Jamie says that is a lot of pressure to put on a person...and I agree.

Sadly I've done this in my life...
I can't imagine how hard it must have been for those girls, and even though my intentions were good, it doesn't change the reality that another person will not be perfect. They won't be sinless. They are just people. People like me.

Trust me, I know I'm far from perfect. I can't even imagine someone acting as though I was...

My prayer is that God would continue to remind me of this.

I also pray that I would demonstrate a love to my future companion that doesn't create a false illusion of perfection; an illusion that breeds unrealistic expectation and pressure. That I would let her be human, broken and imperfect like me, yet love her unconditionally.

I pray I would leave the God stuff where it belongs, and be content to live and make mistakes, covered in the glorious grace from above...

No comments: