Monday, March 28, 2011

What is Love?

I've just recently finished the book titled "Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell and the Fate of Every Person That Ever Lived".

I very much respect Rob Bell and his passion for helping Christians to see the opportunities we have to bring heaven to earth every single day.

So often, many Christians get hung up on debates that have no conclusion (and will not in this lifetime) and, as a result, miss those around us who we could share Jesus with.

By "sharing Jesus" I don't mean shoving a tract in their face, or trying to impress them with biblical knowledge... I mean actually sharing your experience with Him. Telling others what He means to you and has meant in your life.

I firmly believe that the Bible speaks for itself, that it doesn't need humans to defend it. Time and time again people who have violently opposed the message of Jesus have tried to eliminate it. Time and time again the good news of God has survived and exploded.

Who is this Jesus, that his message has survived some of the most brutal antagonism this world has offered?

He is one who stood up for the oppressed. He cared for those who weren't cared for. He spoke out against the religious establishment. He befriended those that the "good" religious people despised. And, most importantly, he brought a peace with God that we as humans could have no other way.

No. Other. Way.

When I interact with others I want them to know this Jesus.

It is not about proving myself right. It's not that I believe that I am better than someone, or that their soul is somehow at a worse place than mine.

Often, people think that when Christians pray for them it is offensive. They think their prayers stem it from some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. That it is about wanting others to convert to a religion.

This is not the case. When you love something or some one, hopefully you will want to share it with others. Love, to me, isn't about coercion. It isn't about making others see things the way you want them to see things.

It is about invitation. It's about sharing the experience with them.

I want everyone to know Jesus Christ, personally, because of what he has done, and continues to do in my life, and for that matter, the lives of countless others throughout history. It's real. It is good. It leads to a better life.

I am not a follower of Jesus to tell people how much better I am than them, because I am not.

I would honestly challenge those who hold that mentality. I would humbly submit that they might want to take another look at Christ and what He taught.

So, if you are reading this, know that I love you, not because I'm such a great loving person but because He showed me love first.

He showed me love first, now I am able to see what love is.

Love wins.

No comments: