Tuesday, April 12, 2011

All Good Things...

I'm an impatient person.

It's just a part of who I am. I can't stand walking behind the slow people in the airports, or waiting in lines at Disney. When I was recently in Milwaukee, some friends and I were waiting to get into a club (we were in the "common people" line) and it took me about 15 minutes to give up.

I don't like waiting because often I find that the things we wait for are stupid. For instance, waiting to get into that club was stupid. We have a whole city within our grasp, and yet some would wait a whole night to get into one place!

We can spend minutes, hours, and days of our lives waiting for something and then find out that the few moments of glory fade much sooner than we anticipated. It just doesn't live up to what the agonizing moments leading up to said event promised.

Not all waiting is bad. Don't get me wrong. When I feel that something is important I can wait with the patience of an Ent (Nerd alert! If you didn't know, an Ent is a tree guardian found in the Lord of the Rings books. Ents take great pride in the fact that they aren't "hasty" folk).

Tangent. Yes, I know.

I think everyone reaches a point in their lives where they are sick of playing it safe. Life is just too damn short to be certain about anything and everything. We can get caught up in the rules of religion, or society, or relational expectation; we can mimic "life" on the outside and all the while be dead within.

Your life is unique.

It was meant to be that way.

Letting go of the safety of "control" and submitting to pure, full, exploration of the person God created you to be is terrifying, yet liberating. Both. Simultaneously.

So whether it's pursuing a career you are passionate about, whether it's climbing a mountain or taking a vacation, or getting the girl, or doing something you've never done before...do it!

One thing that I'm finding is, no matter the path you take one truth remains.

You never walk alone.

Your steps are guided by the One that is graceful, protective, loving and caring. Even in the dark places, you've never been alone. You never will be.

This is what I know to be true.

So go out and live! Stop holding back!

My new favorite 'psychic' Shawn Spencer (aka James Roday) actually inspired me to write this, and I want to share his sentiments with you before leaving today. :)

From Psych Season 4

Episode: "Death is in the Air"

Shawn Spencer: You know how when we were kids, there were all those cool prizes at the bottom of cereal boxes?

Juliet O'Hara: Yeah.

Shawn Spencer: Okay, well, there are two kinds of kids. There's the kid who flipped the box over and opened it from the bottom and grabbed the prize right away. And then there was the kid who waited patiently and ate bowl after bowl of cereal until... until the prize just tumbled out on its own. There's also a third kid named Mikey who'll eat anything, including the prize, but he's not really important right now.

Juliet O'Hara: Okay... and?

Shawn Spencer: I didn't wait. I didn't wait for my decoder ring or my Frankenberry action figure when I was a kid, so what am I waiting for now? All I know is that I don't want to miss out on the prize...

The prize is life friends. However that looks to you or I, I pray that we don't miss it!

No comments: