Saturday, April 23, 2011

Given to a Dream

I believe that there is a point that everyone reaches in life when they realize they are not the point.

When they realize that their life, while uniquely and beautifully original, is not the "end all be all."

Perhaps you know someone who's been to that place?

Or maybe there is someone in your life that you think will never get over themselves. The show is always about them, and nobody else...

But I think it happens to everyone at least once in a lifetime.

We realize that there is more to life. And we ask ourselves about the kind of legacy we are leaving. What we've done to actually improve or make the world better.

I'd even venture that 9 times out of 10 people don't like the answer they get.

If I'm honest, I live a very selfish life. I don't want to really, but its just so damn easy.

Comfort is a commodity that we have an abundance of. It permeates and seeps into every detail of our lackadaisical lives. The world has many problems, but I think one of the most deadly problems is indifference.

I was telling my friend Abby this the other night, while we were reflecting upon the capacity for evil that humans have. I think it is easy for many to look at the Hitlers, Stalins, Bin Ladens, or Konys and say that we could never do such things.

When I thought about it, I came to a shaking realization...

When individuals are indifferent, apathetic, or uncaring we become the catalysts for these evils to take place. The days we think that the world's problems are just to big for us to have any significant impact, so we just give up instead. We become partners in crime.

When individuals have the power to change these things within their grasp, yet turn a blind eye to them, they are just as much a part of the problem as those who are committing these acts.

See, when I'm comfortable in my life, my job, my career. It is easy to sweat the small stuff, in the most negative way possible. I complain about a client, I bitch about how long my day was, I crab at the waitress because my food isn't cooked just so...

Yet, do I really realize how good I have it? Have I ever thought of a book as a rarity, if not a luxury? My education? My options for a career?

Have you ever wondered at the incredible riches that we have in this country? Even in the recession.

I think that by seeing suffering, by becoming aware of the ways in which the world is hurting, this misplaced sense of entitlement is easily lost. The indifference melts away into something greater.

I firmly believe that humanity is the image of the divine. That we are so much more than just biological mass. More importantly, I believe, is that within the living, breathing image of the divine, there is the heart of the divine as well.

We have the way of God within us, although it is clouded.

There is something within a person that awakens when they serve another. There is a fulfillment. Or how about when we show kindness to another who desperately needs some hope? Helping someone in need? Working with a friend through a tough time.

Forgiving an enemy rather than retaliating.

Committing to another with your full heart and nothing less.

We have the potential to live the way of God and we don't even realize it.

That said, I don't believe we can actually be God. We are human. We get tired, we get crabby, we hurt, we don't forgive, we don't love well...

I do think that we have more potential for the better than we give ourselves credit for though.

I don't think God wastes life. I really don't.
I don't think we were created to merely exist day to day.

We were created to dream. To be given to a cause. To be passionate. To love fully. To break down labels, and to see people as mirrors of the One who has created us.

As much as I'd like to think it sometimes, this show isn't about me. It isn't about what I can get out of life, but what I can give in life.

The Invisible Children presentation really impacted and inspired me. It stirred in me a desire for something more. A call to something outside of just myself. A call to be given to a dream. A vision.

Can you imagine being a part of something that brings peace to a war torn country? Enabling children to walk their own home roads without fear of being abducted? Putting a book in a child's hand for the first time? Bringing food to the starving? Medicine to the sick?

Suddenly, when I'm presented with these potential avenues which can leave a legacy behind I'm faced with the glaring reality that what we "live" for in America is oftentimes very minuscule, and ridiculous.

The rappers who want the next best car, woman, or to party their lives away. Swimming in a pool filled with champagne. Hotel suites with every amenity imaginable!

This is the good life?

I'm coming to see that the "good life" isn't what we think it is. It leaves nothing behind.

Perhaps our view of the good life should be finding ways to help others find a better life.

I think that it's nothing short of pure insanity that we have enough food in this world to feed everyone, yet there are people starving every single night, while we throw our leftovers out.

We have the power. We can help.

It's about more than just giving money.

I guess what I'm saying is...

Giving your life for a dream, whatever it may be, may end up bringing you a life that you never imagined you could live.

You will probably be changed forever.

You probably won't mind.

2 comments:

Karson said...

Hello Josh! Just happened to stumble across your blog, but I'm very glad I did. You have wonderful thoughts about our society today. And you're right, people do forget how lucky we are to be so blessed. We really need to learn to step back from all the distractions every once in a while and look at the big picture. But anyway, lovely post. I will be visiting you again soon! (:

Josh said...

Hey Karson! Thanks for taking the time to read! Looking forward to having you back! :)