Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mum's Day

I dug up this old picture of me and my mum.

Why yes, she's a badass.

My mom is definitely one of the strongest women I have ever known. I think that most could say that about their own mothers, but believe me when I say this is true of my mother.

She raised me and my sisters, no small task to be sure! She stayed at home while my dad worked.

I remember coming home from school, and every day she would have some sort of delectable snack waiting for us that we could savor while working on homework.

She always had meals on the table when my dad would finally get home after a long day of work.

Mom loves the seasons. The different holidays and such...


I remember the fall nights when mom would bundle us up and take us out for night walks. The smell of the fall air, the crunch of the leaves, the calm before the snow. During the fall months mom would also run out to Simon's (a store in the New Berlin area), and bring home some fresh apple cider.

She would bring home special books from the library about fall and Halloween, and read them to us.

In winter she would kick us outside in to the blustery cold snows so that we could play and get all our energies out. I didn't especially enjoy this, however, when we were finally allowed back in mom would have her special hot chocolate waiting for us! Sometimes it was also accompanied by freshly baked banana chocolate chip muffins which were always a win in my book.

Those are merely two tangible memories I have of childhood.

But mom's job went far past that.

She was the one who took care of us when we were sick. She always made sure that I had plenty of Sprite and saltine crackers to munch on until my stomach managed to stop violently protesting the digestion of real food.

She was there whenever I had to throw up during flu season, placing a comforting hand on my back, and then cleaning out the bathroom after I had been put back to bed.

Not only did mom run the home, but she has played nurse uncountable times.

In later years, she became my confidant. I could tell her things I don't tell most people and she would always listen. She wouldn't always agree with the things I said or expressed, but I never felt judged by her. These were the moments in life that I treasure the most, her time and her patience with me as I waded through the tumultuous sea of confusion known as adolescence. Moving clumsily forward on the endeavor to find worth, and the meaning of manhood.

My mom has always been right behind me. She has always had kind and encouraging words for me.

Mom, it seems, has many more roles than I thought: running the home, playing nurse, being a confidant and friend, and helping me on my journey toward manhood.

It's damn near impossible to do this woman justice in a mere blog post, as I am sure blogger only has a certain amount of space in it's database; suffices to say, though, that without my mom I wouldn't be half the person that I am today.

She is a friend, inspiration, care giver, and supporter.

What I am really trying to say, in a rambling stream of consciousness, is that I love you mom! Thank you for everything that you do and continue to do in my life! I am blessed to have you as my mom! :)

Have a fantastic Mother's Day all! Don't miss a moment to tell your mum how incredibly special she is to you!

3 comments:

LAENA said...

You are so lucky to have had a mom who stayed home. I have always thought that the most important job a woman can do is to take care of her children. The best investment, her time and energy into bringing up children who will one day become people who have to make their own decisions. I'm so glad you had a mother like that. It shows. I hope one day I will get to be that kind of mother.
Go hug your mom for me, and tell her what a wonderful thing it is she did, not just for you, but for all who will come in contact with you :)

THAT girl who said...

Woah, four sisters...bud I don't know how you survived. I have two and I'm a girl, but I still don't know how I survived childhood with them.

Congrats. x)

Josh said...

I actually mistyped! I only have three sisters, but you're right, they were quite a handful! Haha ;)
have. a great mums day friends! :)