Monday, September 26, 2011

[Friends]- My Oldest Friend

Recently, my blogger friend Laena began a "friends" series.

I thought this was really cool, so I thought I'd do my own. :) So before you tell me how brilliant I am for thinking of this cool idea, I just want you to know that it was Laena's idea first. ;)

I've been extremely blessed by each of the people I will post about, and a simple blurb won't really, truly do them justice, but it's a start...

Meghan is my oldest friend.

She's smart and beautiful. She also has a great, and very sarcastic, sense of humor, which kind of makes my life to be honest.

She likes the Chicago Cubs, and probably knows a bit more about football than I do. She's also engaged somewhat politically, which I find incredibly respectable and noble.

I've known her since...oh, I don't know, third grade?

Back when you could color with crayons, or bring legos into school for show and tell, and it'd still be cool.

I don't know exactly why we hit it off...

Maybe it was because we were bookworms, and were placed in the higher reading groups. Maybe it was because our favorite book was Roald Dahl's "The BFG."

Or maybe it was my boyish charm and babyfaced good looks...

Whatever the reason, we became friends.

She was the first girl, that I remember, I thought was cute. Yes, that's right folks, third grade crush. It was actually in late middle school that I resigned myself to the fact that we weren't going to get married. Her mom, on the other hand, still thinks it's going to happen...

We managed to be in the same fourth, fifth and sixth grade class too which, if you didn't know, is exceptionally rare. In the fourth grade Meg and I were on the team that won the prestigious "Battle of the Books" reading contest, in which, I was forced to read the incredibly dull book, Tuck Everlasting.

Never again.

We both went to the Celebrate the Writer festival at Carrol College in Waukesha. It was for the kids who could write well, and had exceptionally over active imaginations.

Some things just stick, and Meg stuck like glue.

In middle school, I hit a new phase. I had my first encounter with depression. I didn't really know how to handle this new flood of emotions and, often, these feelings manifested themselves in anger or frustration, though I didn't even know why.

It was in one of these particularly scary episodes that she brought this craziness to the attention of the school counselors, who then contacted my parents. This, I believe, was the first step (and a big one at that), in the process of identifying and fighting clinical depression in my life.

And isn't that really what friends are for? They bring you awareness of the things that you can't see on your own. Friends help you to help yourself.

There were some good times in middle school too, though. Meg and my friend Sam would always come over after school, and we'd hang out, listen to techno and play video games in my parent's basement. Those were great times. Just a bunch of middle school kids, being extremely dorky and not caring about the outside world.

Then there was the hormone stage of middle school...

There was a point in middle school that we had a super awkward "like each other at opposite times" faze. Perhaps you can relate?

We just look back on that now and laugh. I'm beginning to see that sometimes certain things don't work out because there is something better in store.

I think God definitely knew that Meghan and I would be much better suited as friends, and for that I'm grateful, because girlfriends have come and gone, but she's still in my life to this day.

Have you ever had a friend that you aren't able to see for long periods of time, and then sit down to reconnect with them at coffee or something, and find that you can have a conversation just as easily as if the last time you had seen each other was yesterday?

Meg is that type of friend to me.

In high school we both became heavily involved in different types of activies. She pursued athletics, while I did music. As is evidenced by our vastly different physiques.

Our paths crossed rarely, if ever, but when she took up about five pages in my yearbook at the end of that year I realized that she would've been there in a heartbeat if I ever needed anything.

I realized then, that I'd do the same for her too.

Meg and I still talk, though the subjects have changed from recess and gym class to politics, sports, relationships, and relationships...and a little more about relationships.

It is truly a blessing to be able to know someone for this long. To have someone see you at your best, your worst, and your absolute worst, and still say; "Hey, you're ok with me."

We've been through a lot of shit, but to this day my oldest friend Meg is still an important part of my life, and for that I'm grateful.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I love you josh-wa! You did forget,however, Mr Poppers Penguins!! lol Don't change, you are one of a kind and I don't want you any other way!! :)

Alissa Blehinger said...

Awe :D I think I know that completely AWESOME girl your talking about. Not only is she an amazing friend to everyone she comes in contact with, she is also and amazing sister. Who despite what she says loves me even through every single fight. We might not talk often but when I need someone to lean on she's always there. You found a good friend in her Josh. And you'll always be family to us.

Josh said...

Meg- If I put every single memorable moment of our relationship into this simple post, blogger would get super pissed at the sheer volume of space that it would take up! lol But you're right...how could I forget Mr. Popper and his lovely penguins??? :P

Lis- So true, so true. I can't think of better company to be in. :) Thanks for the comment! :)