Thursday, January 5, 2012

I Shouldn't Like Dubstep...

But I do. I really do.

It all started when my eldest sister showed me this video...





And that was all it took... I had the damn thing stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

For those of you unfamiliar with the genre known as Dubstep, I'll clarify...

Dubstep is a form of underground, dance, electronica that is rapidly becoming quite popular. Apparently it originated in Southern London. Southern London! I know, I couldn't believe it either! I thought they only had tea, crumpets and a Queen, I certainly wouldn't have guessed that this is becoming a hotbed of sick electronica!

But the funny thing about dubstep is that, it isn't really all that musical. Most songs loop the same hooks over and over, while gradually building to a booming crescendo, then dropping out all the treble for a split second and substituting it with a ridiculous amount of bass line (this is known as the "drop"). The music is designed to be listened to on some heavy duty speakers, and sounds often like a splattering of bleeps and blurps, violently mashed together.

If you've heard a song in this style, you've actually just sampled about 99% of the entire genre.
It isn't really that technical, or even super stimulating to the brain as, say, jazz, classical, or even classic rock.

But there's something about it. Maybe the fact that I want to dance like a crazy fool every time I hear it, or because the bass just gets into my bones and keeps me moving throughout the workday. Or maybe it's because I prefer a darker, more macabre take on electronica, as opposed to that straight up techno crap. I don't know.

What I do know, is that I'm hooked now. This is much much worse than my addiction to the game Words With Friends, this thing could go on for quite awhile...

Ah, what to do?

4 comments:

timpreuss said...

That video was featured on one of the new Beavis and Butthead episodes.

Josh said...

For real?

rkaiser said...

I think there's a rule that you have to listen to dubstep stupidly loud.

Josh said...

If by "rule" you mean that it's natural law, then I concur :)