Friday, February 10, 2012

My Friend the Blogger

She was one of the first to comment on a post of mine, a phenomenon that was altogether uncommon to me.

You mean, people actually read this???

It was crazy to think about. I mean, yeah I made this a public space, but come on, how many people would actually take the time to read a blog.

But, it's largely due to her unsolicited promotion on her space, that I began to acquire a small following here. It also gave me the confidence to actually begin to share my writings in my own social media contexts.

To this day, her URL alone is one of my top reffering URL's. Wow! I was riding high, but I knew that eventually this fun experience would end...after all, it's the internet, and there are quite a lot more interesting sites to look at than my little space. Right?

But, she kept commenting, long comments....wordy comments. Laena, who has a really cool space that you can visit here, taught me the value of a true online community.

Yeah, there's Facebook and Twitter and all that garbage out there, but those are all comprised of threadbare blurbs, nothing really substantial. It's very face value.

Blogs take time to develop. When you write, you share pieces of your life with anyone who will listen, and when someone does listen... when somone follows, reads, and even takes the time to comment on your ideas about life, they're investing themselves in you.

As we continued to comment back and forth, we eventually found each other on Facebook, and talked on the phone a few times. I realized more and more that she is, quite possibly, one of the coolest people I know!

She has a great sense of humor (very sarcastic, so I find myself right at home when conversing with her), she has a quick, whip-snap wit, she thinks about the deeper things rather than remaining in the safety of shallow life. She also has a passion for teaching which, coincidentally, happens to be her profession.

Education is a virtue, and a blessing, and those who pursue the educator's profession are some incredible people! They do it out of sheer love of knowledge, and a desire to help others become all they can be, and that is so inspiring to me.

I told a friend recently, that I'm incredibly blessed to have the friends that I do. I'm big on conversation. Laena is no exception to this, she's very engaging and can hold a great conversation. She listens, challenges your thoughts when necessary, and is always affirming.

Affirmation is easily her best quality. She's an encourager, and very supportive to her friends and family. Affirmation is often over looked when people talk about great qualities they find in others. I don't know why though.

We live in a world that is desperately in need of kind words, and encouragements everyday. Sometimes, when you're at your lowest of lows, the one thing you cling to is a friend who has given you hope in their words. It's the thing that keeps you stepping forward, when all you desire to do is to retreat.

Laena is constantly encouraging me, and I can't tell you how much of an effect it's had on my personal life. We haven't even met in person! So to all you bloggers out here, who underestimate the power of your writing, and words...don't.

I'm highly looking forward to when I get to meet my friend "The Blogger" in person. I have a feeling we'll get along fabulously.

2 comments:

max xavier said...

Laena IS pretty awesome, isn't she ? She constantly amazes me with her insightful honesty. It's rare to find someone like her. I hope whoever is lucky enough to capture that girl's heart knows exactly what kind of treasure he holds :-)

Josh said...

Amen to that!! :)