Saturday, February 25, 2012

"My Pleasure"

So, I worked at Chick-Fil-A in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for a summer.

That's right. This Yankee boy got a crash course in southern hospitality!

One of the strangest things I learned whilst working down south, was that instead of saying things like "you're welcome" (a pretty standard response to a thank you up here), they say crazy things like..."my pleasure."

Admittedly, it does sound a lot nicer. As my former manager explained to us, yanks, "my pleasure" makes it all about the customer. It makes them feel all special, like we think the sun shines out their asses or something like that.

I have to say, though, my pleasure has stuck with me to this day, as has the entire experience that summer, and I still use it quite frequently at my workplace.

Something I've noticed, however, is that Northern businesses have started to catch on to this phenomenon! The Honda dealership nearest to my apartment has actually started requiring their receptionists to finish client calls with "my pleasure."

Gotta hand it to the "progressive" north for being so behind on customer courtesy! When it comes to hospitality, no one does it like southerners, I'm sorry.

Anyway, the point of this is actually that this dealership can't even do it right! You're supposed to say "my pleasure" after someone has said "thank you," or something to that tune. You can't just use it anytime.

For instance, I called in to talk to one of the service reps about a recent repair I had to do, and the conversation went something like this:

"Joshua?"
"Yes."
"Barb isn't available right now, could you hold for a moment while she finishes with a client?"
"Uh...sure."
"(awkward pause)....my pleasure."
(*Enter lame music they play while you're waiting on the phone)

(Me thinking) "Did she...just say...my pleasure? Weird."

Ten minutes later she comes back on the line.
"Joshua?"
"Yeah, it's me."
"I'll transfer you over to Barb now, OK?"
"OK."
"(another awkward pause)...my pleasure."

OK, now I was annoyed. Not only 'cuz I had to wait ten minutes for the answer to a simple question, but because she did it twice! She said "my pleasure" when she had no reason to say it! I did not say thank you, thus she had no reason to have pleasure because of me.

I almost quit going to the place but, alas, my car is old, and I continue to need repairs done. So I'll just have to grit my teeth, and deal with the Northerner's obtuse use of the phrase.

The finer point, I think, that I'm trying to emphasize to all us Yankees up here is this: Get it right, or just don't use it!

Maybe I'll just have to move back to Myrtle Beach! :p

4 comments:

Laena said...

Ummm... maybe she was just trying to remind you to say thank you every once in a while. I mean, all I got out of this post was how incredibly rude you were. Those awkward pauses were probably just the result of her waiting for a thank you from you. How rude!

Oh--and my pleasure ;)

Haha! I worked briefly for a BBQ joint in Colorado as a server, and we were required to say "my pleasure" instead of "you're welcome" too. Southern hospitality is the best. Too bad it cuts off about 50 miles north of Orlando. Any further south and hospitality, congeniality, civility, pleasantry... all out the window *sigh*

Josh said...

It takes a good friend to call me out on being an a-hole, thank you! ;)

rkaiser said...

clearly you should just move back...or come work for the chick-fil-a in chicago. i have no comments for chi hospitality though....

Josh said...

It's probably on par with Wisconsin hospitality, however, I wouldn't mind a move to Chi town...however my first option is somewhere warmer than both ;)Thx for the comment!