Sunday, March 25, 2012

Words Fail

What do you do when words fail, when words are all you have?

What do you do when you open your mouth, and emit pure, full, pregnant silence?

What do you do when the right thing to say successfully eludes you?

When your inadequacy falls upon your head,
the weight, crushing, like an immense dark wave.
Stifling, suffocating, making it hard to breathe.

What do you do when you can't breathe?

How can you feel so full, yet come up empty?
How can we live so empty, yet have the daring to imagine ourselves full?

Sometimes we just hit a wall.

The thing we know, and trust, and cling to no longer works.
It's a frightening, lonely place to tread.

The truth is, we're awfully small, in an awfully big place.
The truth is, the things we cling to are quite small as well.

Words are what I know.
Words are what I love.
My inadequacies shatter me.

What do I do when words fail?
I have to learn to dream again.

Perspectives Presents: Words Fail (Life Through A Lens)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, love it! Especially the part about how we see ourselves as full when we are really so empty.

great post, made me think!

Josh said...

Thanks Jules! This is the product of what I like to term "writer's block" lol. It was so infuriating not being able to come up with anything to write...