Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Life Half Empty?

You've heard the old adage; "Glass half full, glass half empty," right?

If you haven't, you may want to spend some time around...well...people. Someone. Anyone. It's a phrase that's old as dirt.

Simply put, it illustrates two common ways of looking at life, and experiences around you.

I used to be a cynic...

Well, first, let me say that there's a difference between being a cynic, and being a realist. I've mentioned this in a previous post. I would identify as a realist now, but I used to be a cynic.

I guess when you don't believe in anything, there isn't really much to hope for in life. And when there isn't much to hope for, I guess it's easy to be pessimistic about just about everything. I can honestly tell you, from being there myself, that when your glass is half empty for too long, you begin to feel your life itself follow suit.

It isn't just an absence of optimism. It's an absence of hope. I can remember clearly what it felt like to have no hope. A disconnect. No room for even a hint of longing for...anything. I remember feeling exhausted all the time...

If that's you, I want to share something with you today...
This doesn't have to be your story.

In the last two years I've experienced an awakening of sorts, and seen the glass go from half empty, to half full.

I think, if I'm perfectly honest, that the reason behind it all is God, and his personal workings in my life, but it also stems from how I choose to look at my circumstances. This is what I'll share with you today...

What it all boils down to is this: View each experience (good, bad, or downright ugly) as a test. And with each test we face, in this short life of ours, there's a lesson to be learned that we can take with us to draw on later in life.

I'm not joking. It's as simple as that.

Like I said, I'm a realist. Being a "glass half full" type, doesn't necessarily mean adopting an attitude of naivety. I'm painfully aware that life is hard. I know it can be tragic, and damn near impossible at times. I understand that...

But what do you do with this life, when it comes at you?
What do you choose to do with that tragedy?
What do you do with your injuries, your pain, and the nonsensical things that come out of nowhere and blindside you?

Do you curl up? Do you let these things beat you down? Do you fail to take anything from these experiences?

Or...

Do you get back up?
Do you choose to let the lessons you've learned, shape you and your future?

Thing is, that even the most painful experiences I've faced in my life have taught me incredibly valuable lessons. Even the darkest places I've been to in my mind, and physically have changed me into the person I am today.

Some of those dark times, have brought me further as an individual than any good time will.

It sounds cliche'. It's the truth, though.

One of the defining moments of my life was finding myself, through poor life choices, in the hospital. It was in that time, that I began to see so much of my life with a clarity I'd never had before.

Maybe you're in a dark place right now.
Maybe not. 
Maybe your low isn't as dramatic, but it's just as real.

Let me tell you, even in the place you find yourself in, there are good lessons to be learned. Don't hesitate to look for them.


The relationship failed, and the fallout is painful?
Understandable, but you're one step closer to finding someone who is much more compatible with you. You've learned to stick up for yourself. You've learned how you don't want to be in a relationship.

You didn't get the job?
Sucks. But now you can step back, and honestly evaluate yourself. What was strong about the interview? What wasn't? Does your resume' need a bit more work? How can you go in and straight up nail the next one?

Your dog died?
The memories you have will last a lifetime. Celebrate the time you had.

It doesn't matter where you are, there is always something new to be learned. There's hope to be found. And there's a new tomorrow waiting for you, in which, you have the opportunity to make it something worth remembering.

Life doesn't always give us ease, comfort, or happiness. That's just the reality.

What this life does give you, and I, and everyone under the sun the chance for is the opportunity to make something out of the circumstances we find ourselves in.

Tomorrow is a new day, with new potentials. Life can change in a second.

Question is: What will you do with it?
Because, at the end of the day, life is, and always has been, about our choices.

No comments: